Monday, April 12, 2010

Was excited to get this communication in EN Coates blog at the Atlantic site. Edward Stokes has the grandest monument, an obelisk, befitting a nephew of the brigadier general I suppose, in the little country cemetery where my parents are buried. My father told me that a Union Major had helped 3 sisters retain the Ochoya family farm where he first wanted to be buried.

AndyinTexas wrote, in response to michaelbrophy:

Not clear to me from your post whether Edward/Edmond Stokes is the Civil War officer, or another relative.

It's a long shot, but there was a James H. Stokes (1815-90), who organized and commanded an Illinois artillery battery, the Chicago Board of Trade Independent Battery (a.k.a. Stokes' Battery) from the summer of 1862 through the Battle of Chickamauga (September 1863). He was not at Vicksburg as far as I can tell, but both he and the battery saw a tremendous amount of action during the war.

Link to comment: http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/04/one-last-thought-on-mcdonnell-and-confederate-history/38738/#comment-44393878

No comments: